top of page
Tartan Designer Carol A.L. Martin
This site was inspired by a love of tartan and particularly, by the many beautiful, whimsical, and inspiring designs of tartan designer Carol A.L. Martin, some of which are featured on this site, along with the work of other modern designers and historical tartans.
With gratitude for her generous permission to display these designs on this site.
Carol A. L. Martin began designing tartans in 2009 when new software made it possible to create original designs and register them online.
Carol is now the principal tartan designer, Expert Tartan Design Services, for D. C. Dalgliesh Artisan Tartan Weavers, Selkirk, Scotland. She has registered more than three dozen tartans in the Scottish Register of Tartans spanning the years 2009 through 2020.
Some of her notable designs are:
• the official Viceregal tartan, “Du Lion”, for the Office of the Governor General of
Canada in 2013
• “Island Birth Surtsey” inspired by Surtsey, a volcanic island and UNESCO World
Heritage Site and accepted by the Government of Iceland in 2018 on behalf of the
people of Iceland
• corporate designs for the Canadian Section of the International College of Dentists
(2011), the Canadian Dental Association (2011), and the Alberta Dental Association
and College (2017)
• twenty registered designs representing Iceland’s landscapes, flora and fauna which
are available in a printed and e-book on Amazon worldwide, “Icelandic Tartans, A
Confluence of Past and Present”
• “Shackleton’s Endurance” (2019), commemorating the intrepid Antarctic explorer,
• winner of a tartan design competition to create an official tartan for the Monarchist
League of Canada (2021)
Carol lives with her husband and German Shepherd dog in the foothills of the Rocky
Mountains in Northern Alberta, Canada.
Following is just a small sampling of the designs of Carol A.L. Martin. Note that all the tartans on this site are displayed within the context of an artistic association with a day of the calendar year which is a special conceit of this entertainment website and not necessarily related to the designer's original intention or inspiration.
Click the pictures for more information.
bottom of page